Following many years of a close working partnership, Leviathan became part of the Beazley Group in August 2016. Beazley Leviathan is a specialist insurance underwriting facility created to understand, and provide bespoke but broad cover to, the subsea industry. With the emphasis on physical damage risks, we also provides cover for third party liability and associated hull risks.
The recent growth in subsea activity in the world's oceans and waterways falls broadly into four categories:
- Surveys of the water column, seafloor and strata below the seabed by use of towed or static equipment.
- Construction, operation and maintenance of subsea installations using equipment that can be manned or unmanned, autonomous or remotely operated.
- Recreational or scientific activity using manned vehicles or data recording devices.
- Generation of renewable energy by way of tide or wave machines.
The range of equipment and vessels now at work in the subsea environment is considerable and Beazley Leviathan currently underwrites equipment and hulls involved in all of the above activities, both for the subsea and surface elements, whilst:
- Being deployed and recovered
- On board vessels or rigs
- In transit to and from operations, by road, rail, air or sea
- At home base
- During maintenance
- In storage.
Thus providing seamless and comprehensive insurance cover.
Examples of items underwriten
- Remotely operated vehicles (ROVs), work class, survey class
- Autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs)
- Diamond mining tools
- Oceanographic survey equipment - buoys, towed sonars, cameras, sampling units
- Remote and autonomous surface survey vehicles
- Developmental vehicles - manned and unmanned
- Seismic streamers - towed, including sources
- Ocean bottom seismic equipment
- Diving equipment - suits, hats, umbilicals, SCUBA, diving bells, saturation environments, one atmosphere diving suits (commercial contractor operations and professional expeditions only)
- Diving contractors' equipment - hydraulic tools, welding equipment
- Renewable offshore power generation equipment - wave and tidal
- Manned submersibles - private, tourist, research, intervention
- Underwater viewing environments
- Hulls associated with the deployment and support of the above equipment, for example diving support vessels and survey vessels
- General third party liabilities associated with the above.