What we offer
Beazley Safeguard combines advanced risk management and proactive crisis response services with effective insurance for organizations entrusted with the care of minors and vulnerable adults. Beazley Safeguard is designed to help clients minimize the risk of abuse within their organization, and to respond effectively if an event occurs.
Product highlights include:
- Claims made and reported policy
- Duty to defend
- Defense costs inclusive within the limit
- Primary and excess considered
- Up to $10m limit for indemnity and defense excess of a self insured retention (per victim)
- Minimum premium of US$3,500 and minimum self insured retention
- of US$10,000
- Coverage includes negligent employment, investigation and supervision.
Total immunity from risk is impossible, but effective risk management can reduce it substantially, while reinforcing an organization’s commitment to the highest standards of safety and supervision.
Beazley Safeguard clients have access to www.beazleysafeguard.com (US and Canada) or www.beazleysafeguard.com.au (Australia) a dedicated risk management website managed by Praesidium, a risk management firm with over two decades of experience helping organizations reduce the risk of sexual abuse of vulnerable populations.
Resources available to all policyholders:
- Model policies to assist organizations in the creation of abuse prevention policy documentation
- Screening and selection toolkit to assist in effective screening of employees and caregivers
- Crisis response toolkit that includes written resources and guidance to navigate crisis response before, during and after an allegation
- Foundational webinars covering abuse prevention guidance
- Online abuse prevention training
- Praesidium helpline for non-emergency discussion of high-level concerns (in addition to the incident reporting hotline)
Additional resources available to policyholders who meet a premium threshold:
- Offsite general consultation with Praesidium’s Safety Analysts (two hours)
- Webinars for specific industries and issues (two per year)
Resources available to all policyholders, at an additional cost:
- Certified Praesidium Guardian workshop where participants learn best practices in organizational abuse prevention
- Creating a safe environment facilitator led video program
- Onsite training for abuse prevention, response and investigation
- Know your score online self-assessment
- A range of surveys, reviews and assessments resulting in Praesidium providing organizations with tailored advice and recommendations
- Praesidium accreditation which publicly demonstrates commitment to maintaining safer environments.
Allegations and incidents of abuse are usually complex, highly sensitive and time-critical. Organizations, most of which will never have dealt with such situations, can feel unprepared and overwhelmed at the prospect of managing their response and the multitude of issues suddenly confronting them.
However, the onus is upon the organization to act quickly and decisively. The nature and speed of the response are everything. If handled well, the response can limit the distress caused, as well as the risk of serious reputational and financial damage.
How can we help
An allegation of abuse, whether founded or unfounded, can have potentially disastrous consequences for the affected organization. Perceptions of insensitivity or mishandling can easily compound the error in the eyes of alleged victims, their families, the public and, potentially, the courts.
We have created Beazley Safeguard, an offering that combines advanced risk management and proactive crisis response services with effective insurance. Beazley Safeguard is designed to help clients minimize the risk of abuse within their organization, and to respond effectively if an event occurs.
If an organization experiences an incident, Beazley can deploy experts to support an insured through the initial crisis period.
- $50,000 sub limit available
- First dollar coverage (no self insured retention applicable)
Beazley has partnered with several firms, all highly experienced and expert in their respective fields, to address the many operational and reputational challenges that organizations might face in the event of a crisis situation. While the service providers' fees and expenses will be met by Beazley up to the sublimited amount, the service providers will be engaged directly by the insured, to represent the insured's interests.
Who we can help
We will consider submissions from all industries and our experience
has allowed us to identify six key markets:
- Educational institutions
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Religious institutions
- Transportation providers
- Healthcare providers
- Leisure providers/facilities
A wide range of companies are increasingly being mandated to purchase sexual molestation liability (SML) coverage via contractual requirements (for example, contractors working on site at a school). General liability policies, many previously silent, now often expressly exclude the coverage, requiring insureds to obtain the cover on a stand-alone basis.
Where Is This Offered?
London Market, USA, Canada and Australia.
The Beazley Difference
Freedom lies in being bold. We dare to be different and seek bold possibilities to create more innovative, fair and satisfying outcomes for our clients, brokers and employees. From insuring the highest building in the world, to the first commercial lunar vehicle to operate on the moon - we boldly go where others won’t.
STRIVING FOR BETTER
Good is a start, but we go all-out for better. A driven community of individuals relentlessly push the needle and creating value. From launching the market’s first dedicated ESG syndicate to the establishment of our business unit focusing on designing digital insurance solutions, we pride ourselves on always going above and beyond. Simply put, at Beazley we go to 11.
DOING THE RIGHT THING
Acting with integrity in a straightforward, decent way is instinctive. Open and honest with others, we show respect and empathy however challenging the situation – demonstrated by our multi-award winning claims team. Doing the right thing makes for a fair-minded, rewarding environment and makes work and life better for all.
Examples or Scenarios
The insured, an educational institute, received allegations of a sexual assault that occurred on its premises. We immediately deployed Safeguard service providers and engaged a crisis management company and a law firm, who were both on site within one day of being contacted. The crisis management company and law firm assisted the insured with the subsequent investigations and the media communication. They also offered counseling to the victim and worked with the family to counsel the victim.
The insured reported a circumstance to us of sexual misconduct between students. Safeguard services deployed immediately upon the circumstance being reported to Beazley. A local attorney was retained to assist with the investigation, communication with the students’ family and to assist the organization with putting into place best practices when recruiting and supervising minor volunteers. No claim was made.