What we offer
Beazley's policy provides broad coverage for media & entertainment companies
- Defamation, libel, slander, product disparagement
- Invasion or interference with the right to privacy or of publicity
- Infringement of copyright or trademark
- Misappropriation of any name or likeness
- Misappropriation of ideas under implied contract
- Contractual liability cover including breach of scope of license
- Negligent misstatement
- Common extensions: Infliction of emotional distress or mental anguish caused by content
- Bodily injury caused by reliance on the content
- Breach of contract when carrying out fee-based services for a client
- Cover for freelancers and contractors
- Mitigation costs (sub-limited)
- Technology E&O
- Information security and privacy
- Up to $5,000,000 limit available
How can we help
The Beazley Media team has a wealth of global experience which is reflected in our breadth of appetite. We specialize in finding solutions for our clients’ media liability risks that are complex or difficult to place. We pride ourselves on continuously innovating and evolving with the fast-changing world of digital media, and providing our clients with valuable insights.
From traditional publishers and broadcasters to bloggers, vloggers, social influencers, authors, journalists and content creators, Beazley understands the risks associated with doing business in this industry and can help design a Media & Entertainment insurance solution to match a client’s exposure.
Who we can help
Beazley specializes in covering small to mid-sized businesses of up to $35M in revenue that produce all types of content, however and wherever it is disseminated. A broad range of organizations in this sector can benefit from Beazley’s specialist cover, including:
- Publishers in any form: Books, magazines, newspapers, digital/web
- Broadcasters in any form, including social media channels
- Content creators including bloggers, vloggers, podcasters and social influencers
- Advertising agents and advertising producers
- Video producers , including producers of pop videos and educational or corporate content
- Animators and animation producers.
- Content produced by non-media organizations including charities and non-profits
- Authors & journalists
- High profile individuals with a social media profile, books and/or personal appearances
- Post-production and VFX
Where Is This Offered?
The Beazley Difference
Freedom lies in being bold. We dare to be different and seek bold possibilities to create more innovative, fair and satisfying outcomes for our clients, brokers and employees. From insuring the highest building in the world, to the first commercial lunar vehicle to operate on the moon - we boldly go where others won’t.
STRIVING FOR BETTER
Good is a start, but we go all-out for better. A driven community of individuals relentlessly push the needle and creating value. From launching the market’s first dedicated ESG syndicate to the establishment of our business unit focusing on designing digital insurance solutions, we pride ourselves on always going above and beyond. Simply put, at Beazley we go to 11.
DOING THE RIGHT THING
Acting with integrity in a straightforward, decent way is instinctive. Open and honest with others, we show respect and empathy however challenging the situation – demonstrated by our multi-award winning claims team. Doing the right thing makes for a fair-minded, rewarding environment and makes work and life better for all.
Examples or Scenarios
Our Insured, a production company, received a claim alleging copyright infringement in relation to 2017 summer blockbuster film.
The claimant alleged that 3 years earlier he had pitched the idea of the film to the production company and that the pitch was received very positively. When the film was not commissioned the alleges to have not thought any more about it until he saw the trailer for the film in 2015.
It seems that at the time the Claimant pitched his idea, the studio already had its film in production and shooting had all but been completed. The pitch did not contain any specific ideas or concepts but instead only referred to general ideas.
The Claimant’s claim was therefore very weak and unlikely to succeed.
This claim shows the importance of production companies and studios keep clear and accurate records all pitches so that they can properly respond to these types of claim.
The descriptions contained in this communication are for preliminary informational purposes and does not constitute an insurance policy. The coverages described are underwritten by underwriters at Lloyd’s of London issued through Beazley Canada Limited and may be unavailable or vary depending on applicable jurisdictional requirements. The exact coverage afforded by the product(s) described in this communication are subject to and governed by the terms and conditions of each policy as issued. The publication and dissemination of the information contained herein is not intended as a solicitation, negotiation, offer or advice relative to the purchase of insurance on any Canadian risk, and more particularly is not a solicitation, negotiation, offer or advice for the sale of insurance in Manitoba, Nunavut, the Yukon or Northwest Territories.