About the Risk & Resilience research
During the 3rd January and 13th of February 2023, we commissioned research company Opinion Matters to survey the opinions of over 2,000 business leaders and insurance buyers of businesses based in the UK, US, Canada and Singapore with international operations. Opinion Matters abides by and employs members of the Market Research Society and follows the MRS code of conduct which is based on the ESOMAR principles. Survey participants were asked about their views on insurers and insurance, as well as on four categories of risk:
- Environmental – including climate change and associated catastrophic risks, environmental damage, greenhouse gas emission, pandemic, food insecurity and energy transition risk.
- Cyber & Technology – including the threat of disruption, failure to keep pace with changing technology, cyber risk and IP risk.
- Business – including supply chain instability, business interruption, boardroom risk, crime, reputational and employer risk and failure to comply with ESG regulations and reporting requirements.
- Geopolitical – including strikes and civil disruption, changes in legislation and regulation, economic uncertainty, inflation and war & terror.
Of the firms surveyed, there was an equal split of respondents across company sizes of: $250,000 - $1 million, $1,000,001 - $10 million, $10,000,001 - $100 million, $100,000,001 - $1 billion, more than $1 billion.
With a minimum of 50 respondents per country per industry sector, respondents represented businesses operating in:
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Manufacturing, Retail, Wholesale and Food & Beverage
- Commercial Property, Real Estate and Construction
- Hospitality, Entertainment and Leisure (including Gaming)
- Financial Institutions and Professional Services
- Energy and Utilities (including Mining), Marine and Warehousing
- Public Sector and Education
- Tech, Media and Telecoms
- Transportation, Logistics, Cargo and Aviation
Previous waves of the survey were undertaken between 01.02.2021 and 10.02.2021 as well as 10.01.2022 - 24.01.2022.
Kelly Malynn, Product Leader and Underwriter, Cyber Physical Damage, Marine
Jayne Cunningham, Head of Environmental Liability
Bob Quane, Chief Underwriting Officer
David Schnetler, Claims Focus Group Leader - Environmental