Lawsuits brought by students against educational institutions have evolved since the amendment was first passed in 1972. Along with uncertainties and fluctuations in the enforcement environment, Title IX complaints have become more complex for educational institutions to manage.
Today even the most informed and diligent educational institution runs the risk of a Title IX complaint. Claims from discrimination on the basis of sex affects all areas of education including recruitment, admissions and housing; comparable facilities and access to course offerings; sexual harassment and assault; financial assistance; marital and parental status of students; health services and insurance benefits; and physical education and athletics.
Protection for the rapidly changing world of sexual discrimination litigation
At Beazley we have extensive knowledge in the field of employment law and sexual misconduct and molestation liability (SML). We understand the risks posed to educational institutions and have significant experience in risk management and crisis response services needed to mitigate and manage these risks. To help educational institutions cope we have developed Beazley Title IX, a package that combines the benefits of our employment practices liability (EPL) cover with insurance specially designed to protect against sexual misconduct and molestation claims.
Employment practices liability
- Loss resulting from any employment practices claim
- Defense costs resulting from any wage and hour claim *
- Employment event loss*
- Defense costs resulting from any immigration practices claim*
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) defense costs resulting from any OSHA citation.*
* Sub-limit included
Sexual misconduct and molestation liability (SML)
- Loss resulting from any sexual misconduct and molestation claim
- Safeguard costs resulting from any sexual misconduct and molestation circumstance.
Employee on employee sexual molestation coverage can be considered.
- EPL and SML limits of up to $10m
- First dollar pre-claim Office for Civil Rights (OCR) investigation costs sublimit of $25,000
Title IX is available to any educational institution that receives federal funding such as universities, colleges and K-12 schools.
Crisis response services
Beazley is committed to helping organizations manage a claim from the moment a Title IX complaint is made. All Beazley Title IX policyholders will have access to the following services:
- Crisis management and investigation service - if a Title IX complaint is made that requires an external investigation or review, we will provide one or more investigators to conduct the investigation from start to finish.
- Off-campus Title IX support hotline - our off-campus support service is designed to provide as-needed counsel from the moment an institution receives a complaint implicating Title IX and throughout the investigation and adjudication process.
- Civil rights and external investigations - if a review of institutional policies or practices is triggered by an external governmental review or an outside, fully objective investigation of the handling of a Title IX matter is needed, we will represent the institution in the review or perform the investigation.
- TItle IX compliance - for an additional fee, insureds are able to engage service providers directly to access Title IX compliance and policy assessment and creation services.
Title IX forms
The descriptions contained in this communication are for preliminary informational purposes only. Coverages are underwritten by Beazley syndicates at Lloyd’s and will vary depending on individual country law requirements and may be unavailable in some countries. Coverages are available in the US only on a surplus lines basis through licensed surplus lines brokers. The exact coverage afforded by the product(s) described in this communication are subject to and governed by the terms and conditions of each policy issued. The publication and delivery of the information contained herein is not intended as a solicitation for the purchase of insurance on any US risk.