Our political risk team has many years of experience in Asia Pacific, providing brokers with specialist insurance protection in respect of emerging markets, political violence, credit and wider political risks. We set ourselves apart because we make rapid decisions based upon a deep understanding of our clients' businesses and the political and economic environment.
Beazley provides specialist insurance protection to a wide range of clients including:
- Commodity traders
- Foreign investors
- Banks and financial institutions
- Project financiers and sponsors
- Forfaiting companies
- Exporters and importers of goods and services.
Political risks - trade contracts
For companies trading with public and private counterparties, we provide insurance to protect against government sponsored acts before and after shipment of goods, including:
- Unilateral termination of a contract by a foreign government
- Cancellation of import and/or export licenses
- Non-delivery for pre-paid goods; non-payment
- Inability to convert and/or transfer foreign currency
- Non-honouring of payment instruments such as central bank guarantees or letters of credits
- Refusal to pay arbitration awards
- Wrongful calling of contractual bonds.
Political risks - investment insurance
We mitigate our clients' cross-border risks in respect of assets exposed to political force majeure events such as expropriation, wars, acts of terrorism, civil disturbances, and other forms of political violence. Risks covered also include:
- Embargoes, border closures, and other types of government interference including confiscation and deprivation of assets (whether fixed or mobile)
- Selective discrimination
- Cancellation of operating licenses or concessions
- Inability to repatriate dividends or intercompany loans
- Political violence (including terrorism and war). These and other acts beyond the client's control can lead to the cessation of their operations and the failure of their investments, as well as to business interruption losses.
Political risks - lenders' insurance
We also provide insurance to protect lenders from non-payment of loans to cross-border equity investors, caused by political risk events as outlined above.
Lead line of up to US $50,000,000 any one risk.
Up to a maximum of fifteen years.