Technological advances in healthcare and lifestyle management offer end users, as well as those who treat and support them, the ability to monitor, capture and share data around health and wellness and to deliver care in non-traditional ways. With an aging population, a rising incidence of chronic conditions requiring complex and close management and busier lifestyles, people are looking for a convenient and efficient way to access services.
Telemedicine offers significant benefits for healthcare providers and patients alike, providing on-demand access to high quality and often specialist medical expertise that may be difficult or impossible to access locally. Platforms, apps and wearable devices facilitate regular monitoring of specific conditions, as well as general wellness and lifestyle.
However the advance of these approaches also comes with risks. These include those that derive from shortcomings in the data and health advice provided, as well as error or malfunction in the technologies themselves, alongside data privacy and security concerns.
Pillars of cover. Reflecting the particular needs of those operating in this space, Beazley Virtual Care has four core pillars of cover:
- Medical malpractice and professional indemnity
- Tech & media liability
- Public and products liability
Plus a number of optional extensions including:
- Mitigation costs, abuse and harassment liability, medical regulatory costs
- Claims due to loss of documents, reputational damage costs
- Environmental liability costs.
Who we can insure
A wide range of healthcare, lifestyle & wellness and technology organisations, both large and small, can benefit from Beazley Virtual Care, including:
Telehealth – provision of healthcare, pharmacy services and remote monitoring by health care professionals using information communication technology
mHealth – use of mobile technology (including apps) and wearable devices by a patient to assist with condition management, self-care and symptom checking
Lifestyle & wellness – use of mobile technology (including apps) and wearable devices by an individual to assist users with lifestyle choices and management of their wellbeing
Platforms, analytics & software – IT tools, analytics, software, platforms and portals for use by medical professionals, lifestyle coaches and others involved in health management. The product provides cover for insureds domiciled in the UK.
At the heart of the cover is the medical malpractice pillar that is included for all customers. Other pillars can then be added to create a package that meets specific needs. If customers have existing cover for a pillar with another insurer, cover with Beazley can start when it runs out and a single renewal date for all pillars can be arranged.
Four pillars of cover
Medical malpractice and professional indemnity
- Medical malpractice coverage is at the heart Of Beazley Virtual Care and is included as standard for all customers
- Our medical malpractice coverage includes cover for:
- bodily injury to any patient caused by a negligent act, error or omission or Good Samaritan act
- bodily injury or property damage to any patient caused by an accident
- bodily injury to a patient caused by a cyber-incident
- Full professional indemnity coverage can also be provided for any actual or alleged act, error or omissions or unintentional breach of contract in the performance of professional services
- Optional extras include mitigation costs cover (costs incurred by you in taking action to mitigate the financial consequences of a medical malpractice claim), cover for any financial loss caused by an act of harassment and cover for the costs of responding to an investigation by a medical regulatory authority.
Tech and media liability
Tech and media cover for any tech products such as computer or telecommunications hardware or software products or related electronic products.
The tech and media coverage includes cover for:
- Negligent acts, errors, omissions, misstatements, misleading statement, misrepresentation, unintentional breach of contract and bodily injury in respect of the performance of tech services
- Any software copyright infringement with respect to any tech products
- Negligent acts, errors, omissions, misstatements, misleading statement, misrepresentation and any unintentional breach of contract if any tech product should fail to perform the function as intended
- Media liability coverage includes cover for defamation, libel, slander, product disparagement, trade libel, infringement of copyright and infringement of domain name, trademark, trade name, trade dress, logo, title, metatag or slogan, service mark or service name.
Public and products liability
- Beazley Virtual Care provides full public liability coverage for any accidents which cause bodily injury and property damage
- An optional extra to the public liability cover is cover for any defence costs incurred in connection with an environmental claim
- Full products liability coverage for property damage and bodily injury caused by your products, including tech products, wearable devices and self-monitoring healthcare devices.
Beazley Breach Response (BBR) provides coverage and comprehensive services to protect against a broad range Of cyber threats including:
- Business interruption and contingent business interruption from security breach or system failure
- Cyber extortion IOS data recovery loss, data and network liability.
And in the event of an incident, the policy will cover breach response costs for:
- Legal and computer forensic services
- Notifications and call centre services
- Credit monitoring, identity monitoring or other personal fraud or loss prevention solutions
- Public relations and crisis management expenses.
Virtual Care team
Focus Group Leader - International Cyber & Tech
0207 674 7739alessandro.lezzi
Underwriter - International PE miscmed
+44 (0) 207 674 7190nick.pearce
Focus Group Leader - Large Risk International Healthcare